The Center also maintains a number of international collaborations, several of which are funded by either private or federal sources. Collaborative sites are maintained with:
- Professor Antonel Olckers, Ph.D., Director of the Center for Genome Research, Potchefstroom University, Pretoria, South Africa to study mtDNA variation in mitochondrial disease patients and indigenous African populations;
- Dr. Rem I. Sukernik, M.D.; Head of the Section of Human Molecular Genetics, Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Siberian Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk to study the role of mtDNA variation in mitochondrial disease patients and indigenous Siberian populations;
- Professor Elza K. Khusnutdinova, Ph.D.; Head of the Department of Genomics, Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Ufa to study the role of mtDNA variation in common neurodegenerative diseases;
- Professor Ming Qi, Director of The James Watson Genomics Institute (JWGI) of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China to study mtDNA variation in mitochondrial diseases in the Han Chinese;
- Professor Guisheng Qian, M.D., Director of the Institute of Human Respiratory Medicine (IHRM) at the Third Military Medical University (TMMU), Chongqing, China to study the role of mtDNA variation in high-altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE) and indigenous Tibetan altitude adaptation;
- Professor Ricardo Fujita, Ph.D., Professor Investigator and Director, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of San Martin de Porres, Lima, Peru to study the role of mtDNA variation in altitude adaptation of the Quechua speakers from Lake Titicaca;
- Professor Lee-Ming Chuang, M.D., Ph.D., Chief of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, National Taiwan University, to study the role of mtDNA variation in Taiwanese Metabolic Syndrome patients.